Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is shivering and panting a little. went for a walk,

Customer Question
my dog is shivering and...
my dog is shivering and panting a little. went for a walk, he pee & poop ok. Not as excited as he is use to be
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound there
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: about 7 sparky
JA: How old is about?
Customer: 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about about?
Customer: whimpering a little; it's unsually cold today
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm still waiting for an answer. Can you tell me how much longer?
1/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about Sparky. Shivering and panting are both non-specific symptoms that could be related to a behavioral issue (i.e. anxiety) or a medical one. If Sparky is eating and drinking normally (and you already mentioned that he urinated and defecated as usual), then I wouldn't be alarmed and would suggest monitoring him throughout the day to make sure the shaking and panting stop and no new symptoms develop. Maybe he was upset by taking a walk on an unusually cold day. Please let me know if you have additional questions that I can help with about Sparky. I want to make sure you have all the information you need before you provide a rating for my answer.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yesterday he has same signs and symptoms. Had issues trying to poop. Had 3 bowel movements but only clear mucus. He was shaking/panting yesterday. Later in the day he was fine. But this morning the symptoms came back and It was before he went on the walk in the cold. Seems to be guarding his abdomen. Usually it is palpable soft but it is constantly tight as if he doesn't want to be poked in the area. His shaking is not full body it is only his lower body that is mainly shaking. The panting is heavy and usually when on his side/back. I do not believe my dog shows anxiety that way he usually shows his anxiety by excessive paw licking/biting. Please let me know if this could be signs of something else and whether I should take him to the hospital to get checked.

Passing mucous when he has a bowel movement is consistent with inflammation of the large intestine (i.e. colitis). If he also has a splinted abdomen (tight), then that is further evidence of abdominal discomfort which may be from the colitis alone or related to something else going on. Therefore, I would attribute his panting and shaking to discomfort, and recommend you take him to the veterinarian to be checked today.

Hi there,

I wanted to check in and see how Sparky is doing? Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thank you,

Customer/p>

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian