Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

6 year old female Irish setter mix, Pain in stomach area

Customer Question

6 year old female Irish setter mix, Pain in stomach area started about 3:30pm on 1-7, was in and out of the house all afternoon. She was very lethargic and whining and shivering when she came back in the house about 7:30 pm. Slept for more than an hour. Gums were pale and a little sticky at that time. After an hour or so she began to move and I was able to get her just laying on her stomach vs flat out. Gums were now pink, but she still refused water when brought to her. I did not hear any gut sounds at that point. She has slept in my room when I went to bed at 11:00. Went outside at about 4:20am, did not see if she peed or pooped. Since coming back in after 10 min outside her stomach is making a lot of noise. Gurgling etc, she still refuses water and is back to dozing at this time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Darby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Darby?
Customer: I am not sure when she last ate. She had her normal dinner on
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
normal dinner on 1-6 at about 7 pm, had a dentastik dog treat, in the am of 1-7.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums moist or sticky?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?