Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog slipped on our stairs and won't use his rear legs,

Customer Question

My dog slipped on our stairs and won't use his rear legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes he's fine wags his tail but won't walk. When I help him stand up he just falls back down
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Ok thank you
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Franklin 12 years he's 6 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Franklin?
Customer: I called the emergency vet line and they gave me a dosage of medicam to give him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. While the metcam will help with pain, what is worrisome is that a disc in the spine may have ruptured which would cause the lack of use of the rear legs, this is serious and should be looked at right away by your emergency room Vet.

Here is more on disc issues. There is IVDD where the tissue that cushions the disc suddenly turn hard and press on the spinal cord which can be helped by an anti inflammatory and strict cage rest and then there is a disc rupture which can cause severe nerve damage that the dog cannot and will not be able to use the rear legs again unless treated immediately.

IVDD lower spine http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

disc herniation from Michigan vet

http://www.michvet.com/library/neurology_ivds_thoracolumbar.asp