jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

We believe our 1 year old beabull ate a wooden hairbrush on

Customer Question

We believe our 1 year old beabull ate a wooden hairbrush on Monday. He started acting funny on thurs. Friday we took him to our vet. They did an X-ray and didn't see anything in his stomach but gave him 2 shots because they said it was a little inflamed. He was dry heaving at the time and still is. Not to throw up but it seems like trying to get something out. He's happy to eat and has ate a few ice cubes cause we haven't seen him drink. His gums are warm and pink and he doesn't seem to have a fever although vet said it was slightly elevated on Friday. They gave him 2 shots, one anti vomit and the other I believe was anti inflammatory (I believe). Just now he pooped and there was blood in it. I am not sure if it's enough to make a trip to the emergency vet or not. Would like some advice. I have pictures of poop.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 1 year old dog (beabull)
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Smokey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smokey?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 6 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm sorry no other expert chose to answer your question. The short answer is that as long as the amount of blood is small (less than a tablespoon) and red, then it should be ok. Red blood indicates bleeding in the bowels or irritation in the bowels. Black fecal matter would indicate bleeding in the upper digestion tract and possibly be more serious.

You do want to watch for obstructions and peritonitis. You can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

In addition, wood can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis. Read about that here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you notice symptoms such as inability to defecate, vomiting or symptoms of peritonitis, then have him seen again by your vet.

Again, I am sorry no expert chose to answer this earlier for you. As soon as I signed in, I saw your question and answered. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.