Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog ate about 3 ounces of 62% cocoa chocolate she is

Customer Question

My dog ate about 3 ounces of 62% cocoa chocolate she is 12lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Matilda....she has drunk some water and has thrown up a little bit but probably not all of it.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Matilda?
Customer: She soes have esophagus issues sometimes and if she drinks too mcu or eats too quickly she will throw up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

That is definitely a highly toxic amount of cocoa for a 12 pound dog.

Anything higher than 0.7 ounces of baking cocoa could be lethal for a dog her size.

Given the amount that she ate, even though she has vomited some, I highly recommend a trip to the emergency clinic. I would expect she is going to develop heart rhythm abnormalities, including a very fast rate, tremors and seizures. This amount is life threatening. I do not feel comfortable wasting time at home trying to induce her to vomit again. This is best handled in an emergency clinic where they can deal with secondary heart effects and seizures should they occur.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara