Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My corgi has a swollen lump under his eye, He around 4 years

Customer Question
My corgi has a swollen...
My corgi has a swollen lump under his eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He around 4 years old and his name is dobby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dobby?
Customer: His breed is a corgi and the lump appeared out of the blue this morning
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. What is this guy's name? Can you take a picture of what you're seeing and post it here with the paper clip icon?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His name is ***** ***** I will send soon.

Sounds good. I'll be waiting on the reply.

Good picture of the little guy. Is that area painful to the touch? Has he been having any decrease in his eating? It just again showed up this morning?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No loss of appetite and doesn't seem to be any pain. Yes it appeared this morning

That is good that Dobby is still eating well and not seeming to have any significant discomfort from this. At this point here are my thoughts for this. Swelling like this in that location can be due to pure trauma. That spot getting bumped / hit by something. It could be due to it being bit / stung by something and that is a reaction to that. It could be due to cellulitis or an infection from something poking / biting that area (cats can do this pretty easily). It could be due to a tooth issue - a tooth root abscess. What is the cause? That is something that may be determined with a little bit of time in his situation. It could go away here in the next 12 hours or so if it is a bump or reaction. It could start to drain if it is an abscess. There isn't much to do at home for this but to keep him comfortable, make sure he's eating / drinking, and monitoring it. If he was at my ER, I would be doing a very thorough exam of the inside of his mouth to see if I could find a lesion there. I would also maybe aspirate it with a needle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we do have a cat ... they wrestle and play a lot together if it's caused by my cat should anything else be done?

That cat and him may have had a little bite / claw poke that caused this. If it is an abscess / cellulitis, it would be best to have a course of antibiotics done for it. I just had a case at my ER (30 minutes ago) with a cat that had a cheek abscess that looked similar. It started draining a purulent material into the oral cavity. A course of antibiotics was started for it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I'm understanding the best way to go about it is to wait 12 hours and if it's still there take him in? And is it possible it's cancerous?

Giving it 12 hours to see if it goes down on its own isn't a bad step to take. It may start to do that with just time. I wouldn't think cancer as high on the list of rule outs due to his age.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian