Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 14 year old husky who woke up in the middle of thr

I have a 14 year old husky who woke up in the middle of thr night crying fiercely, I noticed she cries when she is trying to get up. Its seems as her left paw is bothering her to. It went away last night for some time and she was back to herself again but this morning when I woke up to let her outside she is in pain again and will not get up, seems like the pain is coming from the neck and leg area. There is not a vet opened in my area until monday, what can I do to ease the pain so she can atlelast walk to go to the bathroom???

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. I am sorry to hear that Nala is having such a painful problem. Based on what you have described, my first thought would be a herniated disk in the neck. There could possibly some other nerve or soft tissue injury. With her age, you cannot completely rule out cancer. The symptoms can come on quickly in some cases. They did for my dog. You are very limited on what you can give at home to dogs for pain medication that would be considered safe. Enteric coated aspirin is the only one you can give (http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm), but you still run the risk of gastrointestinal problems, including ulcers or mild bleeding. Plus, it is difficult to say what her kidney, liver or clotting function are at her age; all of which can make aspirin a risky choice. But, all other human OTC pain medications are known to be toxic with a lot more narrow margin of safety. If there is even an emergency vet you can get to before Monday, that would be a better choice, but I understand if there isn't. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will a heating pad help if I van get her to lay on one? Its seems to go away at times but the last few hours it doesn't seem to, I just got her to walk outside to go potty but when she tried to walk up the one step is when she cried again. So I had to lift her up. Is there anything I can do to make her comfortable until I can get in the vet??

Yes, a heating pad can help. Just don't put it directly on her, and don't leave it on for an extended period of time or unattended. Many a dog have gotten thermal burns with heating pads. Wrap it in a towel and apply it to the area for no more than 5 minutes at a time. Let me know if you have further questions.

Hi Richie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nala. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Nala is doing and to see if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took Nala into a 24hr animal hospital. They ran her blood work and it came back w good results for her age and no cancer. They did x-rays and seen some torn tissue damage which could have been. From slipping on ice. She also has aetheritus pretty bad In her spine to her neck so she is on inflammatory meds and pain meds. She needs lots of rest which she is back up and walking but w a limp. We r going to try the Lazer back therapy in a few weeks to see if that helps but she is doing much better than a week ago. And I'm trying to keep her from walking so much. They did recommend a kennel but she has never been Kenneled and would not like that and cry so I'm keeping her in the kitchen and living room.

Thanks for the update. Keep her as confined as you can. That is the most important part of healing traumatic injuries. Let me know if you have further concerns.