Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Lump on right side next to rib, Mae, 6yrs, No

Customer Question

Lump on right side next to rib
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mae, 6yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mae?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about this lump. How long has it been there? How big is it? Is it painful to her if you touch it?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

The best way to know what any lump is, and if it is cancer, and if it needs to be removed, is to do FNA: fine needle aspiration. We use a syringe to aspirate some cells from the lump, and look at the cells under a microscope. That should tell us if there is a concern of it being cancer, or a benign fatty tumor.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! How is Mae doing? Do you have any other questions?