Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She swallowed a hook the other night while out eeling and

hasn't pood it out yet...
She swallowed a hook the other night while out eeling and hasn't pood it out yet but last night she had blood in her poo what should we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wendy about few months
JA: How old is Wendy?
Customer: 4months round about
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wendy?
Customer: Apart from that she had parvo and was treated a little while ago can't think of anything else she's eating and drinking her poo is runny at the moment too.
1/7/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Wendy.

Unfortunately, dogs eat all sorts of things that they shouldn't but, fortunately, most of them will pass whatever they ate with no issues. When it comes to a hook, though, there's going to be the concern that it might become lodged in her intestines and might require surgery to retrieve it.

But, having said that, there's the equal possibility that it will pass on it's own....which sounds as if that might be the case since she's developed loose stool with blood. This is pretty much what I might expect since the hook is likely to cause some irritation to her intestines.

While the presence of a small amount of blood is often concerning, it doesn't have to be alarming unless there's a profuse amount of it.

So, what to do now? I'd feed a bland diet of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 20-minute, boiled white rice which may help to settle down her irritated intestines.

I'd start a canine-specific probiotic such as Forti Flora which may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

I'd continue to monitor her stools for evidence of the hook.

However, if she becomes lethargic, starts producing large quantities of blood, stops eating or appears to have abdominal pain , then a vet visit would be wise.

I hope this helps and that you see evidence of the hook soon. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your help we have been monitoring her poo and will continue to do so. She has been eating and drinking last night and this morning she just spewed for a a second time and has nylon attached to hook and started to come out of her mouth again.

You're more than welcome although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back.

If I understand you correctly, you're seeing a nylon line attached to the hook that she's trying to vomit? I must confess to being a little concerned if this is the case.
I think it's doubtful that the hook is going to pass into her feces but rather is located in her stomach.

If there's any doubt about where it's located, then an x-ray could be done which should help localize it and then decisions could be made about whether to retrieve it via surgery or continue to monitor.

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian