How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10268
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my 2.2 lb Teacup Yorkie ingested one Reese's Peanut

Customer Question

I think my 2.2 lb Teacup Yorkie ingested one Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I have given her 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Annabelle 6-1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annabelle?
Customer: Before I gave her the hydrogen peroxide, her stomach was growling. She MIGHT have had more chocolate than one peanut butter cup. There were Hershey's Kisses scattered about, too. None of those had the foil torn.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Annabelle.

While chocolate can be certainly toxic for dogs with certain kinds worse than others, I wouldn't expect the amount of chocolate in one peanut butter cup to cause significant issues for her. It would take at least one ounce of pure milk chocolate for signs to be seen adn clearly there wouldn't be this much chocolate in one cup.

If she ingested enough of the Hershey's Kisses, though, then she might have a problem given that she's so small. So, trying to induce vomiting is a good thing that you did.

The amount of hydrogen peroxide you gave her is about what I'd have suggested for a dog this weight. If she hasn't vomited in 15 minutes after the first dose, then I'd give her another one. Walk her around but don't give her a third dose. Most dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but not all them will.

Deb