Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I think my 2.2 lb Teacup Yorkie ingested one Reese's Peanut

Customer Question

I think my 2.2 lb Teacup Yorkie ingested one Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I have given her 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Annabelle 6-1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annabelle?
Customer: Before I gave her the hydrogen peroxide, her stomach was growling. She MIGHT have had more chocolate than one peanut butter cup. There were Hershey's Kisses scattered about, too. None of those had the foil torn.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Annabelle.

While chocolate can be certainly toxic for dogs with certain kinds worse than others, I wouldn't expect the amount of chocolate in one peanut butter cup to cause significant issues for her. It would take at least one ounce of pure milk chocolate for signs to be seen adn clearly there wouldn't be this much chocolate in one cup.

If she ingested enough of the Hershey's Kisses, though, then she might have a problem given that she's so small. So, trying to induce vomiting is a good thing that you did.

The amount of hydrogen peroxide you gave her is about what I'd have suggested for a dog this weight. If she hasn't vomited in 15 minutes after the first dose, then I'd give her another one. Walk her around but don't give her a third dose. Most dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but not all them will.

Deb