Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My almost 15 year old dog suddenly developed a rather large

Customer Question

My almost 15 year old dog suddenly developed a rather large mass on his stomach near his male part. It's almost doubled in size within a couple wks. Due to his age and Aldo having s heart murmur the vet is concerned about putting him under to remove it. She did a cytology and found cancerous cells but doesn't know what type. She did an anal exam and ruled that out. Said possibly a mammory tumor although rare in male dogs. Wondering if I should see a holistic vet for a second opinion
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's always had a skin issue and hair loss and gets ear infections constantly. It seems every time we get it under control it comes right back. And he seems to have arthritis in his back legs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

The location of this mass makes surgery a bit challenging. If it's far enough away from the prepuce (foreskin), then it could just be removed and the skin closed after. If it's on the prepuce, then these almost always end up needing a pretty big surgery where the prepuce and penis are amputated and a new urethral opening is made back by the scrotum (scrotal urethrostomy). This surgery is a big procedure, but it's usually well tolerated and they can do well after.

The heart murmur doesn't worry me too much as long as the lungs are clear. A good anesthetist will watch the heart rate and blood pressure closely and use meds that are easy on the heart. They would also go easy on IV fluids during the surgery so they don't stress the heart too much. It's definitely doable though and worth pursuing. You may want to look into a boarded veterinary surgeon for something in this location.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?