Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Is it possible to give a dog human antibiotic, Demon and he

Customer Question

Is it possible to give a dog human antibiotic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Demon and he is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Demon?
Customer: He has a growth that is the size of an orange on his right side which has now made other parts of his body swell up he has a poor appitite and very lathargic the original growth has now begun to bleed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Most of the antibiotics dogs take are the same antibiotics that humans take. There are a few exceptions, but they are for the most part the same. This sounds like there is a lot more than just an infection going on here. If there is a growth that is causing swelling, I would be far more concerned about a tumor that has grown in the veins or lymphatic system, causing congestion in the vessels. If a tumor has started to bleed, then that usually means it is outgrowing its blood supply. Those type of masses can become infected and necrotic. An antibiotic may help there, but it wouldn't cure anything. An abscess would have most likely drained a greenish/yellowish discharge that has a bad odor. If your vet hasn't checked that out yet, I would get him seen tomorrow because that doesn't sound good. If they think an antibiotic may help, they can prescribe the right one for him, but he most likely needs an aspirate or biopsy of the mass taken. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Demon is doing and to see if you have any further questions.