Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is a 3 year old golden/pit mix, lately he whines a

Customer Question

my dog is a 3 year old golden/pit bull mix, lately he whines a lot while laying down, has a hard time getting up stairs without help, seems to be back legs or hips, he did eat a chicken bone about a month ago, dont know if that is the problem. he poops normal, and he does run in back yard very hard, maybe from that??????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bobby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bobby?
Customer: he cant get knocked out, cause last time he went to vets they gave him two shots to knock him out and it did not, just to give him a bordella shot, otherwise gr8 heathy pooch
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so very sorry to hear about your Bobby. I do not think this is going to be related to a chicken bone ingestion with his size and this would not be the symptom I would be monitoring for, especially after a month. My primary concern is an injury to the back or neck, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back/ shoulders/ neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To lift your pet into the car please use a towel to support as well as moving around the house, into the yard if there are steps/ stairs.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your Bobby comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Bobby doing? Can I assist with any additional questions?

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!