Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is bleeding i think that she has piometra and very

Customer Question

my dog is bleeding i think that she has piometra and very worry please help me
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she has 10 years....please help me i love my dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

How long has it been since your dog was in heat? Are you seeing frank blood or blood + pus coming from her vulva? Is she drinking more than normal?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3days

Thank you. It's much too early for a pyometra to develop. These are usually seen 1-3 months after a heat period ends. It's more likely that your dog is still in estrus. This can be determined by her vet by examining the vaginal cells for changes (cornification) typical of estrus (heat). Is she otherwise well? Eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She was eating and drinking water but now she do not want to eat and no water since this morning

Thank you for the additional information. We can rule out pyometra so soon after her heat period and so the bleeding you're seeing may be due to a tumor in her vagina or it may have arisen from her urinary tract as might be seen with a tumor or urinary tract infection and perhaps urinary calculi (stones). There's enough reason to have her attended to by her vet tomorrow. Your dog's vagina will need to be scoped and urine obtained for a urinalysis. Further care would be predicated upon the findings in her exams.