Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I give my 18lb dog 1/2 Tylenol PM to calm for flying?

Customer Question
Out of bennodryl. JA: I'll do...
Can I give my 18lb dog 1/2 Tylenol PM to calm for flying? Out of bennodryl.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Flying tomorrow with dog. Out of Benadryl. Can I give 1/2 of Tylenol PM?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Not hurting. Need to calm him for flying
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Walker. 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Walker?
Customer: No. Just need to sedate to fly.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok
No
Are you still here?

I'm sorry to hear that you are out of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) which you would normally use to calm Walker for a flight.

Is he taking any other medications, specifically any thing for pain or arthritis?

Tylenol (acetominophen can be toxic for dogs), so Tylenol PM isn't the best thing to give to a older fellow.

We see toxicity symptoms in dogs at a dose of acetaminophen higher then 75 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds per kilogram) of body weight.

At 18 pounds he is 8.2 kilograms, so he would need to eat 613mgs of acetaminophen to experience toxicity. (8.2kg X 75mg/kg = 613mg). Because he's an older fellow it may be a little less for him. But It seems unlikely that 1/2 a pill would contain that much

Can you read the label and tell me many milligrams of acetaminophen are in each pill?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian