Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

9 yr beagle/poodle cross has been very lethargic, 98.6 T

Customer Question

9 yr beagle/poodle cross has been very lethargic, 98.6 T with ear thermometer.off food, has tested positive and treated for ehrichiosis just in November, and Lyme and anaplasmosis. Had been active until these past three days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the beagle. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Kit n'Kaboodle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about n'Kaboodle?
Customer: Passed all tests for traveling to Europe in September and again to travel to Guatemala in November. Had to return due to his extreme reaction to fireworks. Suffered on New Year's Eve and day but not as severe as in Guatemala. Had some diarrhea yesterday but bowels moved twice, did vomit bright yellow the day before but then went on to eat and drink.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

The lethargy could be one of a couple things- pain, GI discomfort, nausea, stress. That temperature is normal. Normal is 100-102. Ear thermometers typically run 1-2 degrees lower than core.

I would try to get an exam to determine the cause. Given that he's eating and not vomiting, I would probably give it 24 hours to see if the signs resolve on their own. If not, then I would get an exam. It may be that he has some neck or back pain- that's a common cause of acute "ADR" (ain't doin right). Those guys are treated with pain meds and rest.

If he resumes the vomiting/ diarrhea, then it's probably GI related and some symptomatic meds should get it under control. Let me know if you notice any other signs to help piece it together. For now, though, I'd just wait it out.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?