Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

A visiting dog has bites in her leg and belly and paws

Customer Question
A visiting dog has bites...
A visiting dog has bites in her leg and belly and paws causing her to constantly itch and bite. What can relieve this itching?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound...but what looks like big bites and the area around them is very red
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Savannah is 11 years old and visiting Florida from Michigan
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Savannah?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear your visiting dog is itching so much.

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly up to daily if necessary to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
More longterm:
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control her symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You. I have been putting Vit D on here affected areas and this seems to sooth her a bit.
Upon further research I really believe they are from a insect in the region, commonly called "No see ums", not sure what they are. I see NO indication of any insect in her fur.Do you know of anything besides insect repellent that may keep them from biting here, should the "Frontline" I apply monthly take care of this like it does fleas?

Frontline can help with some of these but I have seen better results with revolution (which is also heart worm prevention) or nexgard which off label is approved for use in mites and small bugs versus frontline which is not as wide spectrum

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am online another hour today before taking a break so if you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonight to assist you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian