Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 65lb dog ate approx 10 to 12 tablets 137mcg each of

Customer Question
levothyroxine. JA: I'm sorry to hear...
my 65lb dog ate approx 10 to 12 tablets 137mcg each of levothyroxine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jordy 1 yr old lab/bulldog mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jordy?
Customer: not sure
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Jordy. That is certainly a large quantity of levothyroxine. When did he or she ingest these?

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It may have been a few hours ago. My son came home and found my synthroid bottle chewed with about 6 tablets left and I believe there may have been 10 to 20 tablets in the bottle.

Sorry I can't take phone calls right now. I"m replying now.

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it may be too late to induce vomiting doing the math on the amount and his weight he probably may be a little hyper for a while but i am guessing it will pass no worse for the wear. thoughts

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. While Levothyroixine is used in veterinary medicine to treat canine hypothyrdoidism, the dose is typically 10mcg per pound. Thus, for a normal dog with no thyroid issue, this is definitely an overdose and we could see thyroid hormone toxicosis here. Symptoms can include hyperactivity, lethargy, tachycardia, tachypnea, dyspnea, abnormal pupillary light reflexes, vomiting, and diarrhea. Jordy is right on the border of gastric emptying time, so the best way forward here to play it safe, is to get him to your local vet to induce vomiting with apomorphine. Here they can also start him on IV fluids and give activated charcoal to absorb any remainder of the drug in his GI tract. It will be important to leave him there so they can keep an eye on his heart rate and breathing if he doesn't manage to bring the tablets up.

If for some reason you can't get him seen right now, if it was definitely within the last 1.5 - 2 hours, then you could try to induce vomiting at home. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - he will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You would then need to keep a close eye on him, in particular on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Jordy yesterday?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian