Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He is dripping blood from his penis but I do not see blood

Customer Question

He is dripping blood from his penis but I do not see blood in his urine, He has never been neutered.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is a little over nine years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Slate?
Customer: He also suffers from siezures
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Acute prostatitis is the most common cause of such bleeding in an intact (not neutered) dog. A simple urinary tract infection, urinary calculi (stones), and neoplasia in the form of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra and adenocarcinoma of the prostate need to be considered as well. Slate's vet will need to thoroughly examine Slate paying particular attention to rectally and abdominally palpating Slate's prostate gland. If prostatitis is diagnosed, castration and two weeks of an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland such as trimeth sulfa or enrofloxacin will be prescribed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?