Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10-year-old yorkie suddenly got ill beginning of November

Customer Question

My 10-year-old yorkie suddenly got ill beginning of November 2016. He started an unproductive cough (coughed 4-5 times then tried to vomit but again unproductive) -
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No- he was seen 6 times by a vet in a two week period - the first time he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and given appropriate meds but condition continued to deteriorate ---the second visit (through X-ray and ultrasound they determined it was not congestive heart failure -- his heart is good but they thought he had a lung infection and was given prednisone/antibiotics/and a bronchodilator----after a few days treatment there was a mild improvement but the coughing still continued---the third time the X-rays were redone and no lung infection is diagnosed nor congestive heart failure ---- but a mild to moderate collapsing trachea----so was prescribed a cough syrup to suppress the coughing. This worked for a few days and is still effective probably 75% of the time but the coughing still breaks through. This is now 8 weeks plus and the poor little guy is still not feeling better. His body feels tight like a balloon especially in the am and he can't bark-- as he eats and goes to the bathroom his body feels less taut and he can bark and behaves like a yorkie . Because of the sudden onset and the severity I feel there was an event that caused and has been misdiagnosed to this point - not because of malicious intent --I think everybody has tried their best but something is still making him ill.Any direction you can give would be greatly appreciated.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He still puffs when he tries to inhale -- it sounds more like a shortage of lung capacity then irritation in the throat (though there is some of that when he gets really excited) . On his initial visit he was at the vet hospital through the day and was placed on oxygen ( he was the first of 3 yorkies brought in that day with the same symptoms and treatment) and he seemed really good for about 2 days and then the coughing etc. returned.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Henry
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share a copy of bloodwork and any x-rays that you have had done?

2) Was an ultrasound performed at any point?

3) Have meds are being used currently?

4) Can you describe the tight appearance? Is he bloated anywhere?