Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate 3 miniature peppermint patties he weighs 80

Customer Question

My dog ate 3 miniature peppermint patties he weighs 80 pounds and is 11 months old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pharaoh
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pharaoh?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Please don't give this a second thought, peppermint is non toxic to dogs and any chocolate content is well below any toxic level for your size of dog. There are no special measures you need take, Pharoah will be just fine.

2. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 80 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 56 ozs { More than three pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Paraoh's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Pharoah is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the peppermint patties ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott