Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Under one toe nail is a very red flesh like skin. He is

Customer Question
constantly licking it JA: I'm sorry...
Under one toe nail is a very red flesh like skin. He is constantly licking it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Toby and he is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: He is very healthy and up to date on all shots. Toby is a very sweet pit lab mix
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I took a close up picture of his toe nail if you would like me to send it
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

What you're seeing is the kwik. That's the nail bed where the nerves and blood vessels lie. We can see this when the nail is diseased and falls off or, more commonly, when a dog gets the nail caught on something and traumatically rips the nail partway off.

The nail that was injured will eventually fall off. The new nail will grow behind it over the next month or two. If multiple nails fall off, then I start to worry about an auto-immune disease like Lupus. It doesn't sound like that is the case here.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

If there anything I can do for him? Toby is always licking that spot under his nail is that okay?

I would try to keep him from licking at it for at least 7-10 days. You can use a daily bandage or an e-collar/ cone collar to prevent him from licking.

Topically, I don't usually do much. If there is bleeding, I'll use Kwik stop and a bandage for 24-48 hours. Then I leave it open to heal on it's own.

Thank you

No problem, happy to help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian