Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

He is lethargic and is not eating like his usual self nor

Customer Question

He is lethargic and is not eating like his usual self nor excited for dog treats or ice which he usually consumes quite readily. He just spits out the ice cubes. We have been gone most of the day although he was not his usual self this morning. He is a 12 year old Golden Retriever.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: He has several growths in his chest/abdomen, but has had them for years and I check to see if they are larger frequently, they are outside the rib cage. His nose is He is now just laying his chin in the bowl I ice I tried to give him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Buddy. Is he drinking water at all other than the ice you are offering? Has he had any vomiting?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When we first came home he was lying in our laundry room where there is a large bowl of water and when I got him up to take him out he die pee and poop a small amt of loose stool,but he had peed in the house and pooped. I am not sure if he drank water when I brought him in or not? No vomiting.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Buddy this evening to cause this lethargy and inappetance, and we need to consider anything from an early gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given Buddy's age, we even really have to consider an internal organ or endocrine issue here as well. Whatever the case, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Buddy, and if this lethary continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. In case he is nauseous (hence why he may be off food), you can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Buddy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What would be the symptoms of low or high blood sugar?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Symptoms of high blood sugar are more mid to long term in nature and typically we see increased drinking and urination, weight loss despite hunger, and an increase in other issues like urinary tract infections. Low blood sugar is definitely more of a short term issue where we can see lethargy, collapse, unresponsiveness all the way through to seizures and coma. If he seems particularly lethargic, then play it safe by giving him some food now, and by getting him checked at your local ER vet. While high blood sugar is usually related to diabetes and is very treatable, it isn't a short term issue. Low blood sugar can be catestrophic in the short term.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hopefully his parameters were all ok? Let me know if you need any further assistance here - I'll be online for another 10 minutes or so.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Buddy overnight? Did his symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E