Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has bloody diarhea but seems fine no vomiting playing

Customer Question

my dog has bloody diarhea but seems fine no vomiting playing full of nergy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I am aware of but he did go to the beach area and did drink water from lake ontario I think thats the problem not sure how to address his gums are pink eyes clear hes drinking his water ate raw beef today
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dash one year and 5 months up to date with shots
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dash?
Customer: no hes had no problems before
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Dash has bloody diarrhea. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How long since he drank water from the beach?

3- Was it salt water?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not salt water had a firm poop this morning then later mucous poop with some signs of blood drank the water on Monday so 2 days ago
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my phone voice is intermittent so need to stay on internet

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

When there are blood and mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines. Can this be caused by drinking water from the beach? Yes. Other possible causes are parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. In this case, I would recommend a hands-on exam with your family vet and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis. In addition, your vet may start him on a medication called Flagyl.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter