Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

My dog for the last couple weeks has been dealing with a

Customer Question

My dog for the last couple weeks has been dealing with a rash on his underbelly and armpits. I first noticed it after he had gotten fleas, which are now gone. It's causing his fur to fall out and become very thin where it is and has spots of thick dry skin that is flaking off that is also causing his fur to fall out. What is it and how do I get rid of it. Thanks in advance
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 7 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. It sounds like your dog Kemp Davis has a bacterial infection, probably secondary to itching from the fleas. The infection is usually caused by a staph bacteria that gains entrance to the deeper levels of the skin by small abrasions that are caused by the trauma of itching. The infection gets into the hair follicle and kills the hair shaft causing the hair to fall out (called a bacterial folliculitis). It usually needs an oral antibiotic and medicated shampoo to treat and if he is still itching something to stop the itch. I would treat for 1 week beyond when the skin looks totally normal. An antibiotic like Cephalexin is a good choice and a shampoo with some benzoyl peroxide would be a good choice. I hope this helps. If I can answer any other questions please let me know. Otherwise, please provide a rating by clicking on the stars. Thanks