Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Swollen neck and face on the right side. Just formed today,

Customer Question

Swollen neck and face on the right side. Just formed today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: Other than that fully healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did she get into anything?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She has not gotten into anything. It seems harder to swallow. No pain to touch it. She weighs about 45 lbs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here is somewhat of a picture
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a hard lump on her neck
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Given her dark color it is difficult to see the swelling; I can see somewhat the swelling on the neck but not on her face. Are you sure the face is swollen?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it starts where his finger in and then goes all the way to her neck where there is a large lump that's hard

Can you take a picture of her face from the front?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here's one with both sides

Thank you. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

There are several possible underlying causes for the swelling you are seeing. Possible causes are an enlarged salivary gland, an infection (abscess), insect bite, or an enlarged lymph node secondary to an infection or certain type of cancer like lymphoma, etc. Unfortunately, on history and looking at the pictures I can not pinpoint exactly which of the above is the cause. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. Treatment will be determined by FNA results.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter