Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He was treated for fungal pneumonia and I was told that the

Customer Question

He was treated for fungal pneumonia and I was told that the coughing would have to "wear off". He has finished an antibiotic and an a
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Antifungal but still Co tines to have this dry cough
JA: How old is Co?
Customer: He is 1
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Co?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** no there isn't that I know of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Is the fungal pneumonia due to coccidioidomycosis (valley fever)? Another fungus? For valley fever, at least, it's important to recognize that the decision to stop antifungal therapy should be based on resolution of clinical signs, radiographic lesions, and serologic titers. Therapy must persist at least 2 months beyond resolution of clinical signs (which wasn't done if he's still coughing) and radiographic abnormalities, which may be greater than 12 months with disseminated disease, especially if there is bone involvement. Titers can be monitored to assess response to therapy; rising titers suggest an inadequate response to therapy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.