Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Throwing up, drinking alot of water, Lethargic. And

Customer Question

Throwing up, drinking alot of water, Lethargic. And shivering
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He had a ham bone on Christmas. Ans a porkchop bone on New years. both of my dogs had the same thing but the other dog is fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Because both ham and pork bones can splinter and perforate the gastrointestinal tract, it would be prudent to have your dog attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. The hallmarks of both GI perforation and obstruction are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. Time is of the essence in these cases as both performation and obstruction can become life-threatening rapidly. I would expect your vet to X-ray or ultrasound your dog's abdomen to better understand how those bones are affecting him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I always heard that just chicken bones were bad

Yes, chicken bones may be the worst of the lot. The only reasonably safe bones are uncooked beef shanks and even those can be problematic when a big dog ingests multiple pieces of it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?