Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had low kidney function and anemia he was on vitamin

Customer Question

my dog had low kidney function and anemia he was on vitamin supplement and kd diet he had been doing great had pulled aligament in one of his shoulders the vet put him on Meloxidyl for the pain within days his appetite had decreased i called vet he said it was not the medicine within days he grew very weak and completly stopped eating took him into vet and his bun and creatin were off the charts critically high i was told he was in full blown kidney failure no chance of survival sent home with a bag of iv fluids to administer 50cc daily but told he would more than likely have to be put down soon i read on the pain medicine it says dogs with kidney disease should not be given this and my dog had every side effect listed black bowel loss in appetite thirst some vomiting lack of energy has my dog been poisoned and can i get his bun and creatine down is he saveable from this it has been two days since vet visit im giving him the iv fluids along with pedialyte vitamin supplement and pepto bismol he does want to eat if its something with a strong smell kept his food down yesterday until the evening please help he is a 8 lb shih zhu 9 yo and my baby
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 9 yo colllin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: i was pretty detailed in my message before he does have only one eye that surgery took place in june of this year he is on heartgard has been for last year after a negative test he was a rescue so we have had him thouroughly checked he is not neutored yet his liver function is perfect along with all other labs he is very special
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I am so sorry to hear about Collin. I agree that meloxicam is not a good choice of pain medication for dogs with kidney disease. In fact, no non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) is a good choice for a dog with pre-existing kidney failure. The black color to the stools and worsening of the kidney problems is most likely due to the meloxicam. It is possible for him to recover from this but not with at home care. He needs to be hospitalized with intravenous fluid therapy to fluid the kidneys. The subcutaneous fluid therapy (correctly termed SQ fluids, not IV fluids) doesn't really get into the blood stream very well to flush the kidneys. It mainly disperses into the tissues. I would get him to another vet or ask for referral to another facility to hospitalize and put in an IV catheter. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Collin is doing and to see if you have further questions.