Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My small dog was attacked by something last night. he upper

Customer Question

my small dog was attacked by something last night. he upper leg is badly swollen and if you try to touch him he cries and awful cry. he will walk just a little but will not eat or drink anything. how do i know if there are internal injuries
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** we adopted him from the pound but i think he is about 3-4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about roscoe?
Customer: nothing that i can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this accident with your little one. I'm going to be honest here and say that getting him to your vet for them to check him over here immediately is going to be the absolute best thing for him. They can evaluate him with a physical exam and then most likely take some x-rays. How do you know if there are internal injuries? An owner won't really be able to tell at home. A veterinarian can start to evaluate for them with that physical exam, x-rays and possibly blood work or an ultrasound based on what they are seeing. The pure fact that his leg is swollen says there is soft tissue and possible orthopedic injury there. He would greatly benefit from pain medications and antibiotics that they can get started as at least a minimal treatment course. He hopefully doesn't have serious injuries now, but bite wounds can become very serious if the infection gets worse.