Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have two golden retrievers 2 and 5 they were abandoned. I

Customer Question

I have two golden retrievers 2 and 5 they were abandoned. I have been fighting this rods bacteria since I got them 7 months. The and there are several have all said the older one has had this untreated for several years. I'm not complaining about the cost although it has run me 1500.00 each month only to find out nothing is working. Please I read your article is this baytril really good??? I'm at my last funds for this problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the golden retriever's name?
Customer: Sunny and nugget
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunny?
Customer: Several vets and nothing is working
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dogs! Where is the infection that they are being treated for? Has your vet sent out a culture yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In the ear canal, they were put under when they were nudered so they deep cleaned the ears. Found out the have had many years of scaring due to reaccuring infections. Please I am trying hard to take good care of them but it's not getting any better and nothing is working!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear about that... ear infections can become very frustrating. A few more questions for you:

• Has your vet cultured the ear? This would involve swabbing hte ear and sending it off to a lab to identify the exact organism present and hte antibiotics it is most sensitive to.
  • Do you know what medications you have tried? Were they topical or oral?
  • Has your vet recommended surgery on the ears (just wondering how scarred they are)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mometamax 15 g. Otic enzymatic, amoxicillin, tresaderm 15 ml. Yes to the culture. Rods bacteria. No to have they suggested surgery. The vet said she was stumped. They are in pain keeping me up every nite all nite.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Did they identify the actual bacteria? Rods is just a shape of bacteria but there are many different rods- just trying to determine if they just did cytology (a swab done in house that identifies if bacteria/yeast are present and the shape) versus a culture which is sent out to the lab, normally more expensive (usually $150 plus) and identifies the exact bacterial organism as well as the different antibiotics that it is sensitive to and the degree of sensitivity.

Have they been put on prednisone to help with the pain?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I asked the vets office they did do a culture on sunny in July and in house on nugget in July. I have to go to the vets office to pick up that results in order to answer your questions. Can I get it and text you back?
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Sure, you can do that. Depending on the time I may or may not be online right then, but the result will come through to me and I can reply when I am next online!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much going now to their office
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

The thing I wonder is if your dogs could have a bacteria called pseudomonas, which can be very difficult to treat. Usually requires an oral antibiotic like baytril or zeniquin if those are susceptible on the culture, as well as special ear washes. I am attaching a link to an article on ear disease in dogs FYI which includes a section on pseudomonas: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=632

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pseudomonas aeruginosa 4+, proteus mirabilis 4+. Beta-hemolytic streptococcus do 4+,
Organism pseudomonas aeruginosa 4+
Ticarcillin/clavulanic acid -sensitive
Piperacilllin-sensitive 8 ug/ml
Imipenem- sensitive <=1ug/ml
Amikacin-intermediate 8ug
Gentamicin- sensitive 2ug/ml
Enrofloxacin- sensitive <=O.12ug/ml
Marbofloxavin-sensitive <=O.5ug/ml
Tetracycline-resistant >=16ug/ml
Polymycin B resistant
Chloramphenicol sensitive 4ug/ml
Trimethoprim-sulfa a sensitive <=20ug/ml
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
image.jpg
Send+ Add files
image.jpg Remove
image.jpg
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Ok, thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, since the cultures were done 4 months ago, truly they will need to be repeated before starting therapy, but it does look like pseudomonas was part of the problem. You can read a little more about that in the article I linked earlier. Since this has been such an ongoing issue and you have already spent significant money on this, I would consider asking your vet if a referral to a dermatologist would be appropriate. Often a specialist such as this has much more experience with this more resistant infections and can more quickly determine the best test and medicine to treat it (and may have access to more medicines than your regular vet carries), so it may seem like more money upfront (a visit with a specialist is more expensive than a visit at a regular vet), but in the long run you may spend less money because the problem may be solved faster. unfortunately some dogs have chronic ear infections because we can't every get hte infection completely gone, or there can be an underlying allergy issue that is causing it.

Often in pseudomonas, we need to treat long term (months) and we often use an oral antibiotic (like baytril if the culture says it is sensitive) along with a special ear flush. I have used one we make up called Triz EDTA with Baytril added to the solution. Your vet may be able to mix this up for you, or order what they need to make it up. I am attaching a link to an article (Actually for vets) that talks about ear disease that includes the recipe for this flush: https://ams.aaha.org/eweb/images/AAHAnet/phoenix2009proceedings/pdfs/01_scientific/038_TEN%20WAYS%20TO%20MAXIMIZE%20TH.pdf.

Steroids can also be useful to decrease the pain and inflammation for these dogs. And in severe cases, where the canal has been inflammed for so long that it can't really be cleaned or medicated, sometimes the kindest thing is to do surgery to remove the ear canal (called a TECA or total ear canal ablation).

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if my response came through to you yesterday and if you have additional questions.