Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 9 years old and was diagnosed with z heart murmur

Customer Question

My dog is 9 years old and was diagnosed with z heart murmur about a year ago (2). Lately she has been coughing more but she doesn't know how to spit that stuff out so she keeps swallowing it. What can I do? I feel so helpless
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rascal ( she)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No she has been healthy No meds. Great dog food
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sending you her pic
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can she go for long walks?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the cute pic! She's now in my customer photo folder. A history of heart murmur and progressive coughing should prompt immediate attention by Rascal's vet. Congestive heart failure is my primary concern although a sterile chronic bronchitis and even neoplasia in the chest cavity need to be considered at Rascal's age. Her vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Rascal's heart and lungs and treat predicated upon the finding in her exam. Time is of the essence. Her coughing can indicate life-threatening disease.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much. Will keep you informed

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?