Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She has had episodes of wobbling and shaking with drooling.

Customer Question

She has had episodes of wobbling and shaking with drooling. Her heart beats really fast during these. After a few minutes she seems fine. Is it a seizure? I took her to emergency vet after one and they checked her out and said for me to video tape it for the regular vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A labradoodle. She is 7
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes a labradoodle
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the's name?
Customer: Her vet is at Noah's Animal hospi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about hospi?
Customer: The seizures are more frequent now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I"m sorry to hear of this with your labradoodle. You appear to be describing a complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal and now also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Her vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if your dog should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one, clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?