Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Our Shar Pei has started smacking his lips and has excess

Customer Question

Our Shar Pei has started smacking his lips and has excess foaming around his jaws. His appetite seems normal but his breath is bad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is eight years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hank?
Customer: He has had the fever characteristic of the breed and has had a stomach disorder since he was a pup that we are told is also peculiar to the breed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Has he ever had a dental cleaning?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has not.

Okay. It sounds like he has a bad tooth (or several). Most dogs need their first dental cleaning between ages 4 and 6, so I imagine there may be some bad teeth in there. The excessive salivation is in response to pain/infection. I would see your vet and schedule a dental cleaning/procedure ASAP. In the meantime you can give 1 adult aspirin every 12 hours for pain management.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Did you have additional questions for me? I see that you have read my response, but I have not heard back from you. Any questions about this? Any way that I can assist you further, or are you satisfied with the information I have provided?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.