Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Hes was at a kennal two weeks ago, since been home he

Customer Question

hes was at a kennal two weeks ago , since been home he consantly licking his nose, looks a bit snotty and lathargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 6 years rottweiler
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: barry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about barry?
Customer: i dont think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Barry. Was he up to date with vaccinations when he went to the kennel? Has he had any coughing? Is he eating and drinking ok?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he,s up to date with vaccinations, not coughing, a bit of snorting
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. There are a few things that could be causing these symptoms in Barry, and even though he has had the Kennel Cough vaccination, this could still be a mild ongoing form of kennel cough or canine influenza. Kennel cough occurs due to a number of bacteria and virii, however we generally only vaccinated against the bordetella bacteria and parainfluenza virus. This doesn't always cause a cough however and hacking, gagging and snorting are all common symptoms as well. Other possible causes for Barry's issue here includes anything from a collapsing trachea (windpipe), to a primary heart issue, parasites (hopefully he is up to date with deworming treatments), to less common issues like myaesthenia gravis. We even have to consider a potential allergic basis for his snorting and licking and dogs do get asthma and allergic rhinitis. The other possibility here is a foreign body (such as a grass blade or even a dog biscuit) stuck up over his soft palate.

If this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks now and is much the same as when it first started, then I really would encourage you to get Barry along to your Vet for a full physical examination if possible. A course of antibiotics may be enough to settle these symptoms if this is a chronic kennel cough or canine influenza issue. If asthma or a heart issues is suspected, then they may want to take xrays. It is better to follow up these issues promptly rather than see if the settle on their own, as often they can be difficult to deal with if symptoms worsen.

If he isn't too bad, and doesn't seem too bothered, then you could try a little Bendaryl in case this helps to settle the issue. The typical dose used is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. In the meantime if possible, use a harness for Barry rather than a collar, and keep a close eye on his symptoms. If this snorting and licking his nose continues for another few days - then you really should get him checked over. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

I'll be online for another 10 - 15 minutes. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

How is Barry doing today? Has he improved at all, or have you visited your local vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment,

Dr E