Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a boxer that drinks a lot of water is that normal, My

Customer Question

I have a boxer that drinks a lot of water is that normal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: My boxer drinks a lot of water then throws up all over the house is there something wrong with him
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just his dog food
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: MJ and he is 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MJ?
Customer: He looks like he's losing weight but is eating normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia)), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. MJ's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying. Time is of the essence as polydipsia/polyuria can represent life-threatening disorders.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?