Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We dewormed two of our dogs using an over the counter

Customer Question

we dewormed two of our dogs using an over the counter product. no both have diarrhea and one had a drop of blood in it. reading some reviews, they said that diarrhea is normal. just need some advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- What is the name or active ingredient of the dewormer?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fenbondazole

1- Did you give it at label dose?

2- Did they get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fenbendazole, sory
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1- yes
2- no

William, Fenbendazole is a very safe dewormer. Can it cause diarrhea? Yes. But, when we see blood in the stool this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines and we have to consider other causes like ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean them back into their regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have them checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter