Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My German Shepherd has a skin disorder and I don't know how

Customer Question
Hi my German Shepherd...
Hi my German Shepherd has a skin disorder and I don't know how to help her. We have bathed her numerous times and applied different skin shampoos with creams. We are on fixed incomes n you help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the German shepherd's name and age?
Customer: Bella
JA: How old is Bella?
Customer: 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No other wise she is healthy. We did have problems with fleas this year
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Was Bella ever diagnosed by a vet?

How long has she had the issue this time?

Does she have any rash?

Is there an odor to her skin?

Has she had allergy testing done?

I was hoping to get a response to my request for more information first but I want you to have an answer too.

First let me go over various causes of hair loss of which many are skin conditions.

there are many conditions that can cause a dog to experience hair loss including ringworm, mange, hypothyroidism, cushing disease and allergies.

Ringworm can have a scaly reddish rash around the edges of the bare patches though there can be a rash in the bare area as well. Any over the counter antifungal cream for ringworm will work on this. The cream should be applied to an area slightly larger and for about a week after it appears to have cleared up. There are two types of mange and mange is actually caused by mites. Usually hair loss starts in specific areas of the body before spreading to other areas. Allergies are a frequent cause of scratching and hair loss and an be caused by many different things. Treating any problem without knowing for sure what it is causes a delay in the treatment of the real problem if your first guess is wrong. I really suggest you have your Vet examine the areas and diagnose this. Below are websites that will go into more detail on these conditions.

Here is a website on Ringworm:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

Here is two on Mange.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

Hypothyroidism and cushing on these pages:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypothyroidism-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hyperadrenocorticism-cushing-s-syndrome-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can read up on allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

If you suspect an allergy condition is to blame, you can give your dog Benadryl up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

There might be a secondary skin condition in addition to the allergy such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

So this could be a skin dermatitis that occurred once the skin was damaged from the flea bites. So if there is an odor to the skin, I'd try to use the selsun blue leaving it on 15 minutes before relathering and rinsing. You may have been using the proper shampoos and not leaving them on long enough for them to work well.

However, if she has an underlying allergy condition, no amount of shampooing and medication is going to clear up the skin unless the allergen is identified and removed from her environment or diet. Benadryl though can help block the symptoms and give her some relief. Allergy testing would be a good choice if skin scrapings have already been done to rule out mange mites.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.

I see I forgot to check the ready to rate button. Please rate at this time.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner