Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 12 and developed difficulty breathing within a

Customer Question

My dog is 12 and developed difficulty breathing within a last week . She coughs occasionally like she is suffocating but only for a minute or so . I am nervous about it and would like to know what this could be ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you. What breed of dog is your dog?

Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.

Hi, are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.

I am waiting to get some more information from you so I can help you.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.

I would love to help you but I need to hear back from you.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 6 months ago.

Ok, since not hearing back from you I ma going to opt out and allow another expert to help you. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. B for you. While any age dog can cough due to simple respiratory infections such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), I have to consider more dire causes of coughing in a 12 year old such as advanced cardiopulmonary diseases such as congestive heart failure and heartworm disease as well as sterile chronic bronchitis and even neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. Your vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray your dog's thorax (chest). Time is of the essence at her age. Her coughing can represent life-threatening disorders.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.