DrBridget
DrBridget, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years veterinary experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
74693245

My dog has a very eye. I have been wiping it out for her

Customer Question

Hi
My dog Sarah has a very pussy eye. I have been wiping it out for her twice a day for the last 3 weeks or so and it just keeps weeping.
I have also noticed that her eye is cloudy and it sometimes hurts her when I'm wiping it out even though I am trying to be gentle.
I'm not sure if it is a related issue, but just this morning I have noticed that Sarah's breath is HORRIBLE!!!!!!
She is still eating and drinking properly and going to the toilet like normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrBridget replied 8 months ago.

Hi! My name is***** am a small animal veterinarian. I'm currently typing up my reply. This may take a few minutes. Thank you for your patience.

It is good that you have been monitoring Sarah's eye closely and are now seeking advice, eye problems can be painful and some eye conditions can progress to a point where they may effect her vision. There are many problems that can cause the symptoms that you have mentioned, some of the common problems include conjunctivitis, trauma secondary to an impact to her eye or foreign material such as dust or vegetation, glaucoma and dry eye and more rarely some tumors. The way to determine what the problem is to have her examined by you local vet. They may be able to get information about possible cause from looking at her eye but will also likely do some tests to check her eye pressure and tear production.

Sarahs bad breath may or may not be related to her eye problem. The reason why dogs breath smells bad is due to presence of bacteria. This often may just be bacteria associated with dental tartar and gingivitis, which occurs in all dogs to some degree. The fact that you only just notice that her breath smells bad may indicate a more acute infection such as a wound or tooth root abscess, perhaps some foreign material got stuck (sticks or grass seeds?) occasionally growths in the mouth can also be the cause. If there is an abscess or piece of foreign material stuck that is causing a lot of swelling sometimes that can also effect the eyes.

Since eyes are very sensitive stutters and eye problems can deteriorate over time it is best that you take Sarah in for an exam by a local vet ASAP. They will also be able to examine her mouth and discuss any need for further testing if the two seem to be linked.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, I will be very happy to answer them. I wish you and Sarah the best of luck.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet. Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!