Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is throwing up foam and or a clear substance, No ive had

Customer Question
She is throwing up white...
She is throwing up white foam and or a clear substance
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No ive had her at the vet 3 times in 10 days labs all clear.shes been on course of antibiotics and an antifungal but im so scared now shes losing so much weight she is 7 and only weighs 2.7lbs down from 4 lbs
JA: Well, we require $5 .
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Oh yeah she's also had fluids and she is on probiotic and she's had injections dor nausea and omeprazole she is not getting g better
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DrBridget, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
DrBridget
DrBridget, Dog Veterinarian

Hi! My name is***** am a small animal veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear that you dog is feeling so unwell, what is her name? Do you mind answering a few more questions so I can get a better history on your dog?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Abby
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can answer any questions you have further

When did she start vomiting and how long has it been since she last ate?

Is there anything that yo an think of that may have triggered the vomiting? e.g. food change or any chance that she may have eaten anything else e.g. other foreign material, toxins, human food?

How old is your dog and has she had any previous medical issues?

Is she able to drink?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Up to date on all vaccines
No chance she's eaten anything bad only people food is chicken and rice and ordered by the vet
She is able to drink water and seems to want water but about 1-5 mins after water intake she vomits it back up
It's slimy and or white foam.
Her belly is rumbling so loud you can barely hear her heart.
I was sent home with shots for nausea and even that doesn't help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is 7 yrs old
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is on phenobarbital for seizures that's her past medical hx
All labs perfect except shows dehydration and she has and is being given iv lactate ringers

Thank you for the extra information on Abby. Could you please tell me the names of the medications that she has been prescribed?

How often is she vomiting?

What tests did the vet run? blood tests/x-rays/fecal tests?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Flagyl 50mg 1ml bid
Clindamycin 25mg bidStool tests negative
Chest x Ray negative
Labs cbg, kidney and liver function
Cbc all goodI am confused and concerned I'm a paramedic and saved a pt in cardiac arrest last nite and I cant stop a tiny York from vomiting 20 times a day
I'm exhausted been trying to get her better for 3 weeks

I absolutely understand how distressing this must be for you. I too am very concerned that she has lost a lot of weight and is vomiting so often.

I'm currently typing up my reply. This may take a few minutes. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank u

The fact that she is vomiting so much and cannot even keep water down is concerning. There are a number of problems that can cause dogs to vomit frequently despite treatment, these can include:

*pancreatitis

*obstructions - this either be due to a piece of foreign material (some foreign material will not show up on x-ray) or a physical obstruction due to a swelling of the intestinal tract (tumor) or abnormal function of the gastrointestinal tract e.g. a gastooesphageal hernia.

* gastritis

*hormonal problems - less likely but Addisons diesease and diabetes may be a possibility.

A lot of these problems may not be detected on the tests that have been run already. Ultimately the fact that she continues to vomit and loose weight (despite the fact you have already done some good tests and tried some treatments for her) means that Abby should be seen by a vet again to do some additional tests. In this situation I recommend that you take Abby to see an internal medicine specialist ASAP. I realize that a visit with a veterinary internal medicine specialist can seem a bit daunting but they are in the best position to use their advanced training to diagnose problems quickly. They are also able to tell you what tests they think will be most helpful so you can avoid spending money on less useful tests. Depending on what they notice on their physical exam it is likely that the specialist will suggest some of the following tests for Abby: pancreatic lipase test, electrolyte panel, abdominal x-rays and ultrasound, they may even suggest endoscopy to assess her esophagus and stomach.

Since Abby is vomiting so often and has lost weight (likely due to dehydration) I suggest that you consider contacting local hospitals tonight, it would be safest to have her hospitalized and on fluids through the night until the additional tests can be ran.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. I wish you and Abby the best of luck.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet. Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!

DrBridget
DrBridget
DrBridget, Dog Veterinarian