Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took him (shih tzu) to be groomed 3 days ago at petsmart.

Customer Question
He is 9 mos old...
I took him (shih tzu) to be groomed 3 days ago at petsmart. He is 9 mos old. He was matted due to we live up north and wearing a coat etc. I took him back to the same groomer that he has seen 3 times. She shaved him totally down except the tail. I picked him up and he was and is walking sideways protecting his butt. I went back and asked what had happened to my puppy? He shakes and won't even walk. We took him to the Banfield clinic in petsmart and they said that he needed his anal glands expressed. That night and following day he kept yelping like he was hurt. Hiding in the closet etc. The 2nd day, I took him back and he had to be a work in and spent hours in their kennel. Dr said all looked good but sent us home with antibiotics and pain meds. He hasn't gotten much better. To top it all off, he is scheduled to be neutered tomorrow with the same vet. I feel that if I bring him that he will be traumatized for life. They said no. Bring him in. My sweet puppy is not the same guy that I brought to them. What should I do and will get over being tramitized from this experience? Thank you for any advise
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: On his foot. I will now. Seemed they shaved him too close
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Teddie. Nothing on his feet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddie?
Customer: I think I stated the whole story
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hello, I'm in now
1/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 10 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Is this a Vet at Pet Smart? If so I would rethink taking him there for care.

Usually when dogs are shaved down from a full coat of hair they are subdued for about a week or so. You can help with this by putting his jacket or a tee shirt on him as soon as you get him home.

It is also possible that they emptied his anal glands the first time and that caused irritation, and then the glands refilled, which would be the reason for him trying to protect the area. You can help keep the glands clear buy adding bulk to his diet daily such as pure canned pumpkin (about at 1/2 teaspoon).

I don't think that the neutering will traumatize him to the Vet, but if it does you may have to find another Vet to take him too in the future and get him used to going there by taking him in the waiting room a few times and and leaving with nothing happening to him other than praise and treats so he sees it as a nice place to be.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant