Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My standard poodle has been "loosely" diagnosed with

Customer Question
pancreatitis. He goes for...
My standard poodle has been "loosely" diagnosed with pancreatitis. He goes for a month or two with no issues....Then, will start with stomach gurgling and begins throwing up bile. Sometimes this leads to diarrhea and sometimes not -- we cannot seem to control it with diet -- are there other things we should be checking for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

I would be able to help you a lot better if you tell me exactly what blood work has been read and what the abnormalities are.

What low fat diet is he on?

Has he had an ultrasound of the abdomen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will attach a copy of the blood work, we are planning more next week.... He has not had an ultra sound, before I spend the money I want to make sure it would actually show something that is treatable. I am not sure at this point that it would. He has had x-rays of the abdomen with no indications of issues. His diet is currently <10% crude fat...

Thanks for the information. So, I am not seeing that they really ran that much blood work on him. They just ran a routine complete blood cell count and serum chemistry panel. There was even a test for pancreatitis on there. The results from those tests were not really remarkable and usually is just due to stress, although I really hope that they rechecked the platelet numbers because that can be really bad. It is not uncommon for platelets to clot during blood draw, leading to falsely low values. They should have either rechecked the platelets on a new sample or looked under the microscope to make sure the platelets are just clotted. If they want to rule pancreatitis in or out, he needs a CPL test to look at canine specific pancreatic lipase. While a low grade, chronic pancreatitis is possible, I would also be concerned about an inflammatory bowel disease issue, gastrointestinal lymphoma (less likely if there aren't other signs but still possible) or a food allergy (even if he has been on the same food his whole life. I assume they have ran a fecal exam to rule out intestinal parasites? I would do a routine deworming with Panacur for 3-5 days regardless because you can get false negatives on fecal exams. In addition to running a CPL on him, I would do a serum cobalamin/folate to see if there is a potential for a primary gastrointestinal disorder, such as inflammatory bowel disease. Pending those tests, then an ultrasound may be necessary as will a potential upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and biopsy. If a prescription low fat diet hasn't been helping, you may want to talk to your vet about trying a prescription hypoallergenic diet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello, I was just following up to see how Parker is doing and to see if you have further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian