jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

We have three 10 day old pit puppies we are bottle feeding

Customer Question

we have three 10 day old pit puppies we are bottle feeding but they are constipated and I am at a loss at what to do now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: spencer, milo and zeuz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about spencer?
Customer: they have been bottle fed since birth
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I've been a breeder for 20+ years so I'm very familiar with the issues that go along with newborn pups, etc.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.

If they were older then you might use an infant’s glycerin suppository but I wouldn't use on pups this young. The other methods are what I recommend you try first. Now most dogs are lactose intolerant so some experts might suggest adding a little cows milk to the formula to get their bowels moving again.

If these methods don't seem to do the trick then you will need to see your vet but they should work.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.