Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My vet says that my toy poodle has an elongated esophagus,

Customer Question
but she does not vomit...
My vet says that my toy poodle has an elongated esophagus, but she does not vomit food; her nose has always sounded stuffed up ( I purchased her from another person), and she is always licking her nose. Now she cannot tolerate me trying to lay her on her back to cut the hair in her paws or around her ureter, as she starts sneezing. The sneezing is increasing very rapidly. With a traumatic injury to her patella, she developed arthritis, so stopped playing. But the other day she wanted to run around and have me play with her and her little stuffed toy, but then developed breathing problems. I always have to pick her up, rub her throat until it stops and then cuddle her a bit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your toy poodle?
Customer: She developed a sudden increase in appetite, and is overweight. He could not figure out why, but according to my reading, it sounds like trauma and gut disbiosis.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. It is an elongated soft palate, not esophagus. And that contributes to reverse sneezing in dogs which looks like breathing problems but really is not a big deal at all. You can see reverse sneezing in a dog on youtube if you put dog reverse sneezing in search window. That is a common dog condition. NO big deal.

As far as the weight goes, I would have her thyroid checked and ask your vet to do a CBC, chem panel, T4 level,HWT and urine test. Let's make sure she does not have any endocrine related diseases that are common in poodles. If all that is clear, then your dog has a simple weight problem and is taking in too many calories and being heavier makes you more hungry.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have additional questions as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DRB

Just checking back in with you. Let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian