Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just started crying and she shaking like she is in

Customer Question
alot of pain...
My dog just started crying and she shaking like she is in alot of pain
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Fatty who has been crying and shaking as though she is in pain. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes and this will include a few key things to keep an eye on this afternoon.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Okay

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Fatty's symptoms of crying and shaking are definitely a real concern here, and these could definitely be an indication she is in pain. We also have to consider whether she has anything from an early gastroenteritis here, to an internal organ issue, or whether this could even be a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything Fatty could have gotten in to at home).

For this afternoon and this evening, you are going to have to continue to keep a very close eye on her. In particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully she is eating and drinking as per normal. If you think Fatty is at all nauseous, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

All the best with Fatty and hopefully she improves soon. If not, or if any of the parameters above aren't right, please do get her seen today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Fatty overnight? Did her symptoms settle, or did you get her to your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment,

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fatty. How is everything going?
Pet Doc

How is young Fatty doing now? Hopefully she is back to her normal self now.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian