PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 12 year old Papillion and he is throwing up. He is

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Papillion and he is throwing up. He is walking funny and his stomach is swollen. He is panting really hard all the time. He does drink very little but nothing to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no. I am worried because he is always so active. He is having trouble walking also. I am on a fixed income and can't afford much. Everywhere I call it is 100's of dollars just to bring him in. Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't heard anything. Please tell me what you think
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

Can you post a video showing the panting episodes and abdominal swelling?

Any coughing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No one everything. I don't know if someone kicked him or not. It's hard for him to walk or lay down. He is favoring his left back side

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better based on the fact that he is vomiting. However, it's my concern with the odd walking, panting and swollen abdomen that he may be experiencing congestive heart failure. In some animals, we will see a large volume of fluid buildup in the abdomen giving their stomach a bloated appearance. They will also be panting, in most cases, and some dogs will also have a tell tale cough (some don't, although this is less common).
If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need some options of where to look for financial assistance, just let me know.

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What are some financial places that will help. I live in good view va
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His breath smells like rotten meat. He is panting so hard too

I'm afraid there's not a great deal that can be done from home aside from trying to treat the vomiting. He truly does need to be examined and treated by a vet to determine the cause of the symptoms. I think your best use of time will be starting to make contact with the entities above to see if they have funding that might cover your companion's illness.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy