Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She has diarrhea, is panting, drooling and shaking. It

Customer Question

She has diarrhea, is panting, drooling and shaking. It started this morning...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe. She is 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: I'm mostly concerned with the fact that she is panting (indicates distress/discomfort?) and shaking and moving very furtively...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has not had anything to eat today other than her "greenie" this morning. The stools started out loose, then progressing to runny. The last time I took her out she only released a little bit and it was clear and pink-tinged. She acts like she needs to go more, but nothing comes out. Her gums are dark pink and moist. When I walk her outside to go potty, she is panting, mouth open, and some drooling. No vomit or retching... When I palpate her belly there does not seem to be any indication of discomfort. But when we come inside she stands at the front door with one foot up (like it's uncomfortable to move) and she is shaking.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we do need to tread with care her.

Her panting sounds to be discomfort based, but if she is straining non-productively and passing mucus/pink material suggests that not only do we have a gut issue (ie bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, etc) but also a secondary colitis due to the diarrhea inflaming the colon. And I'd note that that can cause nausea itself, so that could cause drooling and put her off eating too.

With this all in mind, we would want to start supportive care to ease her signs and get her feeling a bit better (since the shaking is just a sign that she feels unwell with this). To start, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC canine probiotics can be added to these to firm her stools quicker.

Or if he is very runny, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Finally, if Zoe seems nauseous and her appetite is poor, then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Zoe. Though it sounds like we have a primary GI issue with a secondary colitis. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle this. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable antibiotics +/- anti-nausea medication to settle this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.