Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has licked the couch 8 hours after using woolite

Customer Question

my dog has licked the couch 8 hours after using woolite apoulstry cleaner.She threw up and now has no appetite.What can I do for her ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie 13 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: I gave her 1 cernia. she seems fine , other than not eating
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

How many times did she vomit?

How is her activity level?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides at the same time, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since 3:30 am.That is when she threw up. She is calm and awake , but just resting. She does not seem to have abdominal pain when pushed or otherwise.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Just licking a small amount off the surface shouldn't cause major issues, but it can cause an upset stomach. She would have to ingest a lot of it to be concerned about toxicity issues. If she just vomited the once, I would just watch her an make sure her appetite returns in 24 hours. If she is vomiting a lot, then I would be concerned about dehydration and electrolyte disorders and would have her evaluated by a vet immediately. If she seems like she has been doing fine otherwise, the most I would do at home would be Pepcid or Prilosec (2.5 mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight daily) in case there is some excessive stomach acid. Both are typically safe for dogs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Sophie is doing and to see if you have further questions.