Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an 11 year old pom, who is having trouble with early

Customer Question
morning vomiting. He was...
I have an 11 year old pom, who is having trouble with early morning vomiting. He was treated by a vet who said it was an old age problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No it is an on going problem. I feed him boiled chicken breasts and good dog food. When he gets this way he eats the chicken and not the dog food. The vet said he would die on a diet of chicken alone, I've tried several high quality dog foods with the same outcome.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He has been this dogs vet for more than 2 years, he sees him monthly. I wondered if I added vegetables to the chicken, if that would help?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kojak
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What tests did his vet do? What treatments have been tried?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has been having this problem off and on for three to four months. He had a blood test, urine analysis and a stool analysis.
He gave me 3 different medications, but the only one I have the name of is meloxicam. I have misplaced the papers that told me what to do, but he did feel better for about 6 weeks. His gums are black and dark pink, at this time they are moist, (he is a black dog.) When he is sick he does have tenderness and tensing. He is usually sick in the early morning and feels better later in the day. I am especially concerned about what is safe for him to eat.

Thank you,

Since he is on Meloxicam, can you tell me if that was started before or after these signs started?

In regards ***** ***** other 2, do you remember if either was an antacid or anti-nausea treatment?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The medications were given to him because he was having this problem, I don't remember what the other 2 meds were, but they were only given for the first 2 days and the meloxicam was given for a longer period of time. What I am really worried about is what to feed him, if he just eats the chicken and leaves the dog food in the dish.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that his vet has checked those, but I would be concerned that there is more to this then age. We can see vomiting of this nature due to bile reflux (aka bilious vomiting syndrome.) but we’d also have to consider a chronic helicobacter gastritis (which can take 6 weeks of narrow spectrum treatment to clear), or a possible stomach mass or compression.

With this in mind, it would be ideal to discuss an ultrasound or scoping of the stomach with his vet to get to the root of this. Otherwise, we’d want to reduce his general nausea here (which could have been worsened if he was on the Meloxicam alone since it can reduce stomach mucus production and actually lead to stomach irritation from the acids present). In any case for that, we’d want to have him on at least an antacid. Pet safe options would include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, we can feed a homemade diet if Kojak prefers. Ideally, you will want to make a balanced one (Good resources for this are BalanceIT: https://secure.balanceit.com/ & Pet Diets: https://www.petdiets.com/Homemade-Diets). Though you could choose to just feed boiled chicken and rice with veggies (no onions, garlic, grapes/raisins, or raw potato since those are all dangerous for dogs) if he tolerates it so long as you keep him on a balanced canine vitamin/mineral supplement. There are many over the counter (ie Vet’s Best, ***** ***** etc) or there are even complete diet additives (ie Chef’s Canine Complete - http://www.mypetgrocer.com/product-p/mpg106.htm) to just allow you to feed what he can tolerate but ensure we aren't putting him at any risk with trace vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your help!

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian